What is personal Information?
Personal information includes any factual or subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual. Some examples of personal information are age, name, address, and ID numbers. Personal information does not include the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization.
We are required to collect some personal information in order conduct our business with new home purchasers as well as prospective new home purchasers.
The purpose for collecting personal information:
- To enable us to contact our customers and prepare legal documents, where required, to facilitate and complete the purchase of a new home;
- Provide information to a company, organization affiliated, associated or related to us, in order to provide purchasers with information relating to the project or projects by any of the related entities;
- Provide information to providers of utilities, services and/or commodities to the purchased unit (including, without limitation, gas electricity, water, telephone, cables and/or satellite TV.) for the purpose of marketing, promoting and providing such utilities, services and/or commodities to the purchased unit;
- Where required provide information to lending institution(s) for the purpose of arranging financing for to complete the purchase transaction by the purchaser.
- The personal information collected remains in our files for the above noted purposes. Arista Homes Limited does not sell personal information to any other third party.
Consent for the collection of personal information:
The protection of personal information:
We have taken a number of measures to ensure the security of our client's
information. These include the following:
- We have designated a privacy officer to be responsible for the care and control of personal information;
- Arista Homes restricts the collection of personal information to that required for the purposes noted above;
- Paper information is under supervision and locked, all electronic data is password protected and restricted as to its accessibility;
- All employees are required to sign confidentiality agreements;
Once no longer required, we destroy personal information by shredding, electronic information by deleting, and when hardware is discarded, we ensure the hard drive is destroyed.
Should a new home purchaser request us to release/confirm some of their personal information, we will only do so with there written consent.
When personal information must be disclosed:
There are some instances where we are obliged to disclose information. They include:
- Where the information is known to the public;
- Where required by law or tribunal;
- Where we believe, upon reasonable grounds, that there is an imminent risk to an identifiable person or group of death or serious bodily harm;
In such cases we will not disclose more information than is required.
Request for access to your information we have:
Should any of our new home purchasers, prospective customers or prospective new home purchasers wish to review their personal information we have, they may contact our Privacy Officer to arrange a time to do so.
General Information regarding PIPEDA can be obtained from the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at:
Toll free: 1-800-282-1376 Website: www.privcom.gc.ca